To declare the major in music, students must have completed level II Music Theory and Aural Skills with a grade of C+ or better in the following courses:
- Music Theory II (07:700:122) and
- Aural Skills II (07:700:124) or Advanced Aural Skills II (07:700:154)
Music majors in the bachelor of arts (B.A.) program are required to complete at least 41 credits, distributed as follows:
- 13 credits of music theory: 07:700:121,122, 127, 221, 222
- 8 credits of aural skills: 07:700:123 or 153, 124 or 154, 223 or 253, 224 or 254*
- 12 credits of music history: 07:700:301-302, 303, and either 419 or 420
- four semesters of performance study (4 credits)
- four semesters of large ensemble (4 credits)
*Students are placed in aural skills or advanced aural skills by the appropriate faculty.
In order to graduate with a major in music, students must pass a piano proficiency examination. Students must achieve a minimum grade-point average of 2.5 in courses required for the major. At least 15 of the 41 credits required for the major must be taken at Rutgers.