Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Undergraduate-New Brunswick
About the University
Undergraduate Education in New Brunswick/Piscataway
Programs of Study For Liberal Arts Students
Douglass College
Livingston College
Rutgers College
University College
Cook College
Mason Gross School of the Arts
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers Business School: Undergraduate-New Brunswick
School of Communication, Information and Library Studies (SCILS)
School of Engineering
Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
General Information
Student Life and Services
Tuition and Fees
Financial Aid
University Policies and Procedures
Grades and Records
Other Grade Symbols
Credit Prefixes
Courses Completed by High School Students
Term Grades
Warning Notices
Student Complaints about Grades
Cumulative Grade-Point Average
Cancellation of Classes
Policy On Academic Integrity Summary
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
University Safety and Security
Administrative Procedures For Responding To Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Harassment
Policy Against Verbal Assault, Defamation, and Harassment
Nondiscrimination Policy
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policy and Research Centers
Patent Policy
Governance of the University
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
New Brunswick/Piscataway Undergraduate Catalog 2005-2007 General Information University Policies and Procedures Grades and Records Other Grade Symbols  

Other Grade Symbols

P/NC (Pass/No Credit). A nonnumerical grade of Pass (equivalent to grades of A, B+, B, C+, and C) or No Credit (equivalent to grades of D and F) is assigned to any student who has registered for his or her course on that basis, when such registration is in accord with the regulations of the student`s college and the faculty offering the course.

T (Temporary). Grades of TB+, TB, TC+, TC, TD, TF, and TZ are used for all incomplete and temporary grades. Temporary grades are given at the discretion of the instructor when the student has not completed properly the course work requirements (i.e., major assignments or examinations). Students enrolled in courses in the School of Engineering receive a grade of TF if the final examination is not taken at the scheduled time. The letter grade following the T represents the grade the instructor would assign if the outstanding work were to remain uncompleted, except for the TZ grade. The TZ grade should be assigned only when a student is unable to finish his or her work due to a verifiable emergency situation. The student and faculty member are urged to reach an agreement as soon as possible as to how the course should be completed. The TZ will have no immediate effect on a student`s GPA; however, if the situation is not resolved within the following term, the TZ will convert to an F, and the GPA will be recalculated accordingly. Temporary grades become permanent if the work is not completed as required and no notice is received from the instructor to convert the temporary grade to a permanent one. In no case is this permanent grade lower than the assigned letter grade. Fall term T grades must be completed by May 1; spring and summer T grades by December 1. However, it remains the prerogative of an individual faculty member and/or the office of the dean of the faculty offering the course to set earlier deadlines and internal procedures for completing the work required. It is the responsibility of the student to contact the instructor for an interpretation of the T grade and to establish a timetable for the completion of course work.

W (Withdrawal). A W is assigned when a student has withdrawn from a course, without any evaluation made of course work, on or before the completion of eight weeks of any regular term with the permission of the appropriate authority designated by each faculty. Under no circumstances shall the assignment of W be allowed when the withdrawal from a college is dated during the last two full weeks of instruction in any term. Should withdrawal occur without permission, the instructor will give the appropriate letter grade.

NG (No Grade Given). Where no grade is assigned on the final grade roster by the faculty member, an NG (No Grade Given) will be assigned. The NG will have no immediate effect on the student´s GPA; however, if the situation is not resolved within the following term, the NG will convert to an F, and the GPA will be recalculated accordingly.

H (Honors). Used in lieu of a grade for the first term of a full-year college or departmental honors course. Credits for H grades are not calculated into the student`s cumulative grade-point average until the final grade is assigned upon completion of the honors course. Course credits are included, however, in the total number of degree credits.

S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory). Grades used in courses where the N credit prefix is used.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 732/932-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

© 2005 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.