The major in women's and gender studies consists of 36 credits, made up of 18 credits of required women's and gender studies 988 courses and 18 credits from a list of approved cross-listed courses or other courses approved by a program adviser of which 12 credits must be at the 300 level or above. Students are required to achieve a grade of C or better in all courses that count for the major.
The following courses are required:
1. 01:988:101 Introduction to Gender, Race, and Sexuality (3) or 01:988:202 Gender, Culture, and Representation (3) or 01:988:235 Dynamics of Class, Race, and Sex (3)
2. 01:988:201 Feminist Practices (3)
3. 01:988:301 Feminist Theory: Historical Perspectives (3) or 01:988:302 Feminist Theory: Contemporary Engagements (3)
4. 01:988:303 Comparative Feminisms (3)
5. 01:988:370 Critical Feminist Investigation (3) or a 300- or 400-level core course (see list in department and on website)
6. 01:988:425 Internship in Women's and Gender Studies (6) or 01:988:490 Seminar: Women and Contemporary Issues (3) or 01:988:491 Seminar in Women's and Gender Studies (3) or 492 Seminar: Special Topics in Women's and Gender Studies (3)
7. Six elective courses chosen either from the women's and gender studies program or from a list of approved cross-listed courses or other courses approved by a program adviser. At least four of the six elective courses must be at the 300 level or above.