The joint major is an integrated program consisting of 45 credits from the combined disciplines and not less than 21 credits from each. The program is administered by the Department of History and students should obtain advising and program approval from the undergraduate director in history.
1. 15 courses in history and political science (45 credits)
2. 9 out of 15 courses in history and political science at
the 300+ level (27 credits)
3. A minimum of 11 courses for the major must be taken at
Rutgers University-New Brunswick.
4. Students must take 21 credits of political science, with
12 of those credits being at the 300+ level.
5. One course needs to be taken in each of the following
a. Global, African, Asian, Latin
American, or Native American History (all 508 and select 506 courses)
b. European history (510)
c. United States history (512)
d. A course focusing on the period
before 1500 CE
6. A History Seminar, either 01:506:401 or 01:506:402, in their
junior or senior year. Students can also complete a Public History Internship
(01:506:451) or Honors Program in History Thesis (01:506:496) for this requirement.
7. A History Workshop, 01:506:299, must be taken by the end of
their sophomore year; junior-year transfer students must take the History Workshop in their first semester at Rutgers.
8. No more than two courses taken to complete a major or
minor in another department can be used to fulfill the requirements of the history/political science joint major.