Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Graduate School–Newark
About the University
Graduate Study at the University
Financial Aid
Academic Policies and Procedures
Degree Requirements
Programs, Faculty, and Courses
Course Information
American Studies 050
Behavioral and Neural Sciences 112
Biology 120
Business and Science 137
Chemistry 160
Creative Writing 200
Criminal Justice 202
Economics 220
English 350 (Includes American Literature 352)
Environmental Science 375
Environmental Geology 380
Global Affairs 478
Master of Science in Global Affairs
M.S. Academic Policies and Procedures
Doctor of Philosophy in Global Affairs
Ph.D. Academic Policies and Procedures
History 510
Jazz History and Research 561
Liberal Studies 606
Management 620
Mathematical Sciences 645
Nursing 705
Peace and Conflict Studies 735
Physics, Applied 755
Political Science 790
Psychology 830
Public Administration 834
Urban Environmental Analysis and Management
Urban Systems 977 (Joint Ph.D. with NJIT)
Women's and Gender Studies 988
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  Graduate School–Newark 2015–2017 Programs, Faculty, and Courses Global Affairs 478 Ph.D. Academic Policies and Procedures  

Ph.D. Academic Policies and Procedures

Change of Program

Students wishing to change their field or degree program must obtain the requisite form from the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School–Newark, Conklin Hall, Room 241, submit it to the graduate program director for approval, and return it to the Office of the Dean for final authorization. The fall semester deadline is July 1; the spring semester deadline is December 1.


From the M.S. to the Ph.D.

Students who complete the M.S. degree at the Division of Global Affairs (DGA) may use all relevant accrued credits (with grades of B or higher) to fulfill the requirements of the Ph.D. in global affairs if they first submit a complete application and are admitted into the doctoral program. M.S. students in global affairs may not automatically transfer into the Ph.D. program.


M.S. en Route to the Ph.D.

Ph.D. students may also acquire the M.S. en route to a doctoral degree. In order to do so, Ph.D. students must receive the permission of the DGA graduate program director, pass the Ph.D. comprehensive examination, fulfill all M.S. requirements, complete three forms (Application for Admission to Candidacy for the Master's Degree, Graduate Diploma Application for Newark Students, and Application for Admission to Candidacy for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy), and submit them to the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School–Newark, Conklin Hall, Room 241.



Courses taken in fulfillment of the Ph.D. are graded in the following manner:

  • All core courses, courses taken in fulfillment of the methodology, concentration, and distribution requirements, and independent study courses receive letter grades. Instructors provide grades for core courses, methodology courses, and concentration/distribution courses; DGA faculty members supervising students' independent study provide grades for independent study courses.
  • Colloquium and internships receive Pass/Fail grades. Faculty members organizing the colloquia provide the grades; the students' DGA faculty advisers provide grades for internships.
  • Dissertation Research receives grades of S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory). Students' DGA dissertation advisers provide grades for Dissertation Research. 
  • Students receiving a grade of B or below in all courses but methods are recommended to take the DGA writing course 26:478:501.

Faculty and Dissertation Advisers

The DGA deputy director advises students on requirements for the Ph.D. program. All other questions should be addressed to faculty advisers and dissertation advisers.


Faculty advisers are DGA core faculty members. Faculty advisers provide intellectual and academic guidance, approve and provide grades for internships, approve independent study courses, and mentor students on the writing of their dissertation. By the time the Ph.D. student is in his or her second year of coursework, he or she should begin finding a dissertation adviser and three additional committee members. 


Dissertation advisers are DGA core faculty members who help Ph.D. students choose a dissertation topic, approve the dissertation proposal, and, together with the student, form the dissertation committee. Dissertation advisers also chair dissertation committees, provide grades for dissertation research, and monitor Ph.D. students' progress by approving their annual study plans.


As a rule, students request that members of the DGA core faculty who share their research interests serve as their dissertation advisers. The dissertation committee consists of two members of the DGA core faculty (one being the dissertation chair or adviser) and at least one member of the committee should be from outside of Rutgers University. It is highly recommended that at least one committee member be an expert in the student's field of study.

Complaints and Appeals

All complaints about any aspect of the DGA program or appeals regarding a student's standing in the program must be directed, in writing, to the DGA deputy director.


Timetable for Completion of the Ph.D.

Ph.D. students are expected to complete all the requirements in a timely manner consistent with the schedule delineated below:


       Students must take the comprehensive examination within six months of passing the 52-Credit Review. This should be no later than four years after entering the Ph.D. program. Students who fail to take the comprehensive examination within this time may, after appropriate deliberations between the DGA core faculty and students' faculty or dissertation advisers, be asked to withdraw from the Ph.D. program. 


       Dissertation proposals are developed in consultation with the student's dissertation adviser following the student's successful completion of the comprehensive examination. Dissertation proposals must be approved by the student's full dissertation committee within one year of beginning dissertation research credits. Verification of passing the proposal should be submitted to DGA associate director via email from the student's dissertation adviser with a carbon copy to the additional three committee members. Students may submit a written request for an extension to DGA deputy director.

The proposal should include:

  • presentation of the topic (paradoxical observation/puzzle that is addressed in the dissertation)
  • literature review (relevant books, articles, data sources) and theoretical perspectives
  • research methodology (questions, hypotheses, variables, and measurement, as well as research methods used in the dissertation)
  • preliminary chapter organization
  • schedule for completion of the dissertation
  • bibliography

       Students must defend their dissertations within eight years of admission into the Ph.D. program. Students who fail to meet this deadline will have to withdraw from the Ph.D. program. 


       Students who withdraw from the Ph.D. program may apply for readmission. Readmission is not guaranteed. The Office of the Dean of the Graduate School–Newark, Conklin Hall, Room 241, handles all applications by former students seeking readmission to the school.


Termination of Studies

Students may be required to terminate their graduate studies and withdraw from the Graduate School–Newark if they fail to meet the minimum requirements of the program or the school. Failure to make continuous progress toward the attainment of the degree may constitute a basis for termination. 


Matriculation Continued

Students may register for Matriculation Continued only if they have completed all coursework and dissertation research. Students may not register for Matriculation Continued while taking courses or dissertation research.

Full-time matriculation continued is given to full time Ph.D. students only. It is not available to master's students. Ph.D. students must have a note from the adviser that they have been working at a full time level to receive special permission for the full-time status.


Foreign students should, after completing all coursework and dissertation research, register for Matriculation Continued in order to maintain their visa status.

Master's students completing a master's thesis prior to graduation, after completing all other responsibilities toward the degree, may apply for matriculation continued to maintain their status prior to graduation.


Human Subject Research

Students who conduct research involving human subjects must consult with the Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research (IRB), the body at Rutgers charged with the protection of individuals who volunteer to participate in research conducted by university personnel. All research protocols that involve human subjects must be reviewed and approved by the IRB prior to initiation of study procedures. The IRB is an autonomous body. Decisions of the board may not be influenced by any individual, department, office, or other university entity. For details and procedures, see


For additional information, contact RU-info at 732-445-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

© 2016 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.