1) Understand, analyze, and incorporate natural features and systems in planning and land management practices.
2) Analyze and incorporate social, cultural, and behavioral factors in planning.
3) Understand the history of environmental planning and policy, including contemporary and sustainable practices and their impact on people and the land.
4) Evaluate implications of institutions and policy in terms of their ability to shape sustainable regions.
5) Effectively communicate with the public, communities, and policy makers on issues of land stewardship, environmental justice, and social well-being.