Instruction in engineering began at Rutgers in 1864, when the State of New Jersey designated the Rutgers Scientific School as the State College for the Benefit of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. The College of Engineering was established as a separate entity in 1914. In 1999 the name was changed to the School of Engineering to reflect the comprehensive nature of its programs, including undergraduate education, graduate education, state-of-the-art research, and public service. Today instruction and research are provided at the bachelor of science (B.S.), master of science (M.S.) and master of engineering (M.E.), and doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.) levels.