Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Undergraduate-New Brunswick
About the University
Undergraduate Education in New Brunswick
Programs of Study and Courses for Liberal Arts and Sciences Students
School of Arts and Sciences
School of Environmental and Biological Sciences
Mason Gross School of the Arts
General Information
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility to Keep Informed
Registration and Course Information
Registration Process
Course Planning
General Registration Policies
Academic Credit
Scholastic Standing
Academic Support Services
Degree Requirements
Programs of Study
Course Listing
Administration and Faculty
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers Business School: Undergraduate-New Brunswick
School of Communication and Information
School of Engineering
Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
School of Management and Labor Relations
Honors College of Rutgers University-New Brunswick
General Information
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
New Brunswick Undergraduate Catalog 2022-2024 Mason Gross School of the Arts Academic Policies and Procedures Registration and Course Information General Registration Policies  

General Registration Policies


The add/drop period generally occurs during the first two weeks of the semester. During this time, students may add and drop courses to finalize their registrations. Add/drop dates are determined by the University Senate prior to the beginning of the semester, and these dates can vary by semester. The Senate's decision supersedes any previously advertised add/drop dates. Therefore, students must check their campus-specific website at the beginning of each semester to determine the most recent registration information available.


Full-time students (i.e., those taking at least 12 credits) are charged a flat tuition rate and permitted to take additional credits (up to the maximum credit limit) at no additional cost. If students are taking a credit load less than full-time, they will be charged tuition by the credit.

All undergraduate majors in Mason Gross School of the Arts are full-time, professional degree programs. Only under extenuating circumstances, as determined by the Assistant Dean for Advising & Student Success, can a Mason Gross undergraduate student attend on a part-time basis. This policy also applies to undergraduate students in their final semester, even if they require fewer than 12 credits to complete their degree.

Full-time status is required for most financial aid awards. Therefore, students should consider the impact that part-time registration may have on their scholarships and/or financial aid.

Full-time undergraduate students at Mason Gross usually carry at least 15 credits per semester and in some programs need to carry more than 15 credits in one or more semesters to graduate within the standard four-year period.


Rutgers offers three placement tests to inform students and their advisors of the appropriate classes that students should take. Students are encouraged to take these placement tests before they are registered and are advised to complete their placement tests within 30 days of their official enrollment. Tests are available for English, Math, and World Language.

English Placement Test - All new undergraduate students are required to take the English Placement Test unless they receive transfer credit for Expository Writing (01:355:101) or they demonstrate SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing scores of 650 or higher or ACT Reading scores of 32 or higher. Students with these test scores will automatically be placed in Expository Writing (01:355:101) and are not required to complete the English Placement Test. First-year students who do not meet the SAT/ACT score requirements above or do not have Dual Enrollment credit for Expository writing must take the English Placement Test.

Students who place into courses below the level of Expository Writing must take all required writing pre-requisite courses to Expository Writing at Rutgers-New Brunswick. Transfer students entering Rutgers without an equivalent Expository Writing course must complete the English Placement Test.

Math Placement Test - All new undergraduate students (first-year and transfer) are highly encouraged to take the Math Placement Test, regardless of their course of study. Even if their major does not have a math requirement, many liberal arts courses and double majors do, so students are encouraged to take this test proactively while their math skills are still fresh. With Math Placement Test results students will not have an extra hurdle to overcome if they wish to take a math course in the future.

World Language Placement Test - New undergraduate students are encouraged to take the World Language Placement Test for languages students have had experience with and intend on taking an advanced course at Rutgers. Students planning to start studying a new world language at Rutgers should NOT take the test in the new language. CLICK HERE for more information on the World Language Placement Test.


Mason Gross undergraduate students must fulfill non-major course requirements, referred to as liberal arts courses. Students are provided lists of courses that would fulfill liberal arts requirements; however, students often identify courses offered at other units within Rutgers not included on the lists we provide. Students who would like to fulfill a liberal arts requirement by taking a course that is not included on our lists may submit a request through the form here.


During fall and spring pre-registration, Mason Gross students are restricted to a maximum of 20 credits until the first day of classes, when the add/drop period opens. During the add/drop period, the 20-credit restriction will be lifted, and Mason Gross students may register for a maximum of 24 credits.


Per university policy, undergraduate students are normally limited to 12 credits during the summer session. Students may not be registered for more than two courses in a single summer session or overlapping sessions. Please note that courses in the summer sessions are billed based on credit load and may not be covered by traditional financial aid available to students during the fall and spring terms.


Per university policy, first-year students are normally not permitted to register for winter session courses. All other students may take no more than two courses or a maximum of 4 credits during the winter session. Please note that not all winter session courses are equivalent to courses with the same title and number offered in the fall and spring terms; therefore, students are advised to seek approval from their advisor prior to registration to be sure the course will count towards their degree.


Undergraduate students who wish to register for two courses but are blocked from doing so by WebReg because of a scheduling conflict (due to the time, days, or location of the courses), must request an override from their advisor. These students will need to provide written approval from one or both instructors of the two courses stating the student will be allowed either to arrive late or leave early from at least one of the two courses.

Students will only be approved for a conflict override if meeting times overlap only slightly due to estimated travel time. They will not be approved if an entire meeting time conflicts.

When there is an overlap scheduling conflict, students should register for the class which is more likely to reach maximum capacity first while they await approval and processing of the scheduling conflict override.

All requests for conflict overrides submitted prior to the first day of classes will be processed before the end of the add/drop period.


With permission from their advisor a student may repeat a course taken at Rutgers University in which they earned a grade of "D" or "F". If they earn a higher grade by repeating the course, the student may request that the original grade be deleted from the cumulative GPA (grade-point average) by application of an "E" prefix. Although the original grade of "D" or "F" will remain on the transcript, the "E" prefix allows the original grade to be omitted from the cumulative GPA.

To qualify, repeated courses must be taken at Rutgers and may be used only once for any given course. If a student fails the course a second time, only the second "D" or "F" will be computed into the cumulative average.

This action can only be completed for a maximum of 16 credits and in no more than four courses.

To request permission to apply the "E" prefix to a course that was successfully repeated, students should submit the appropriate form to their adviser.


Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is a requirement for all undergraduate students receiving federal, state, or university assistance while enrolled at Rutgers. Financial aid recipients must meet both a qualitative and a quantitative standard to maintain eligibility for aid. In addition, the student must complete the program within the maximum timeframe.


In the fall or spring term, after the add/drop period is over, students may elect to withdraw from a single course until the 7th week of the semester. Students are encouraged to withdraw from a single course if failure is imminent due to performance or attendance in a class (typically indicated by warning grades mid-semester).

Undergraduate students may freely withdraw from a single course if they remain above 12 credits after the withdrawal. If the withdrawal drops their credit load below 12 credits, the student will need to gain permission from the Assistant Dean for Advising and Student Success to withdraw from the class.

Single-course withdrawal deadlines are posted on the Registrar's website.

Withdrawals from single courses will result in a "W" grade on the student's transcript. "W" grades are considered attempted credits; therefore, even when dropping below 12 credits due to withdrawal from a single course, students will still be considered full-time for billing and financial aid purposes.

No refunds of tuition are given for individual course withdrawals after the second week of classes.


At times, students may experience personal circumstances or hardships preventing them from completing a semester. When this happens, students should meet with an adviser to determine the best course of action. Students may be advised or elect to withdraw from all classes.

Students withdrawing from all courses with the intent to return to their program in the future will be initiating a leave of absence.

Students withdrawing from all courses who do not intend to complete their degree are withdrawing from the university.

A student who withdraws from all courses may receive a partial refund according to the rules described on the Student Accounting website.

Withdrawal is not permitted during the last two weeks of classes.

More information on withdrawing from all courses can be found on the Scarlet Hub website.


Students who interrupt their registration for whatever reason must reapply. The application for readmission can be found at The student must consult this website for all relevant deadlines. Students may be required to reaudition or resubmit a portfolio along with the application.

Students who take an extended leave of absence and wish to complete their degree must seek approval from their department to do so. Such requests will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Outcomes will be determined by factors including grades in core courses, changes to the program requirements in the years covering the leave, and professional work during the leave, among other considerations.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 732/932-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

2005 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.