Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Graduate School of Education
About the University
About the School
Degree Programs
Financial Aid
Student Services
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility to Keep Informed
General Degree Regulations
Registration and Course Information
Advising Procedures
Class Schedules and Hours
Grades and Records
Scholastic Standing
Academic Standing
Special Policies Governing the Graduate School of Education's Initial Teacher Certification Programs
Program Completion Requirements
Earning Credit
Advancement to Graduate Status
Advancement to Clinical Practice Phase III
Student Academic Appeals
Removal from Clinical Practice
Removal from the Program
Urban Social Justice Focus
Clinical Component
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Academic Integrity Policy
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
University Safety and Security
Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance
Disability Services
Administrative Procedures for Responding to Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and Harassment
Title IX Policy and Grievance Procedures
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights under FERPA
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policies
Patent Policy
Degree Requirements
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Programs
Doctor of Education (Ed.D) Programs - For Students Entering before 2010
Doctor of Education (Ed.D) Programs - For Students Entering in or subsequent to 2010
Master of Education (Ed.M.) Programs with No State Certification
Master of Education (Ed.M.) Programs with State Certification
Combined B.A./B.S./Ed.M. Five-Year Teacher Preparation Programs
Postbaccalaureate Teacher Preparation Programs (Ed.M.)
Undergraduate Minor: Education as a Social Science
Nondegree State Certification Programs
Nondegree Skill Development Programs
Faculty, Administration, and Centers
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  The Graduate School of Education 2022-2024 Academic Policies and Procedures Special Policies Governing the Graduate School of Education's Initial Teacher Certification Programs Earning Credit  

Earning Credit

Placement Tests

AP and CLEP tests can be used to satisfy the liberal arts total credit requirement and the general education distribution requirement as long as college credits have been awarded for the work and these credits are reflected on an official undergraduate transcript.

Transfer Courses

Students may count courses taken at a community college toward satisfying GSE general education requirements for the following areas: arts, humanities, math, science, and foreign languages, and toward the required 90 credits of liberal arts.

In cases where students are required to take specific courses that are offered at community colleges (830:101 or 300:200), students need to prove equivalency through NJ Transfer. No other GSE requirements can be satisfied with community college courses except in the case of social studies core curriculum content requirements.

Pass/No Credit Option

Graduate students may not take undergraduate liberal arts courses on a pass/no credit basis to satisfy the general education distribution requirement. However, these courses may be taken with an E-prefix. This prefix prevents the grade for the course from being used in the computation of the grade-point average.

An undergraduate student may take liberal arts courses pass/no credit to satisfy the general education distribution requirement providing approval to do so has been given by the student's undergraduate school.

Graduate Enrollment in Undergraduate Courses

Any course numbered 500 or above is designed for graduate students and normally carries credit toward one of the graduate degrees. Certain advanced undergraduate courses numbered in the 300s and 400s may also be approved for a given graduate student. In order to receive graduate credit for an undergraduate course, students must get explicit written approval from their adviser and must register for the 300- or 400-level course with a G-prefix.

The graduate portion (fifth year) of your program is minimally 30 credits; graduate electives must be taken AFTER you earn your B.A./B.S. degree as they are designed to be part of the fifth/graduate year.
For additional information, contact RU-info at 848-445-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: One Stop Student Services Center.

© 2021 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
Catalogs Home