Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Graduate School-Camden
About the University
Graduate Study at the University
Financial Aid
Student Life
Student Programs and Services
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility to Keep Informed
Registration and Course Information
Grades and Records
Other Grade Symbols
Credit Prefixes
Grading System Used by Each School
Policy on Warning Notices
Examination Papers
Transcripts and Course/Grade Documentation
Verification of Enrollment
Academic Standing
Class Schedules and Hours
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Academic Integrity Policy
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
University Safety and Security
Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance
Disability Services
Administrative Procedures for Responding to Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and Harassment
Title IX Policy and Grievance Procedures
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights under FERPA
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policies
Patent Policy
Degree Requirements
Graduate School-Camden
Rutgers School of Business-Camden
School of Nursing-Camden
School of Social Work: Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) Program
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  Camden Graduate Catalog 2021-2023 Academic Policies and Procedures Grades and Records Other Grade Symbols  

Other Grade Symbols

IN-Incomplete.  Students whose work is incomplete at the end of the semester may be assigned a regular grade or, at the discretion of the instructor if there is reason to believe that an extension of time is warranted, a grade of IN. Incomplete work may be made up, and a change of grade may be authorized by the instructor, within 12 months from the time the incomplete was assigned.

Upon completion, the instructor must submit an Electronic Change of Grade to change the IN to an appropriate letter grade. Instructors must use the Incomplete Grade Extension Form, found on the Graduate School Forms page, to extend the IN grade beyond the normal deadline. Students who fail to complete the course or complete an extension form after the 12-month deadline will receive a PIN - Permanent Incomplete grade. Students with two or more incompletes are not permitted to register for additional courses without permission of the graduate director.

In exceptional cases, where more than one year is required, the student, in conjunction with the instructor, must complete the Graduate Incomplete Grade Extension Form, which must be approved by the program director and the dean.

P/NC-Pass/No Credit.  A grade of P/NC, which has no numerical equivalent, is assigned to any student who has registered for a course on that basis when such registration is in accord with the regulations of the faculty governing the student and the faculty governing the course. P (pass) is equivalent to an A, B, or C, while NC (no credit) is equivalent to a D or F.

S/U-Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.  Assigned to 700-level courses of research carrying credit or to regular courses taken on a noncredit basis.

T-Temporary.  Temporary grades are given at the discretion of the instructor when the student has not properly completed the coursework requirements. The grade assigned in conjunction with the T grade becomes the final grade, unless a better grade is reported as a result of the completion of the coursework within the time allowed by the instructor, but no later than the end of the next semester. At present, this designation is used only for students in the School of Social Work.

TZ-Temporarily Not Graded.  TZ grades are an administrative option for pending disciplinary cases involving academic integrity. If not resolved, TZ grades remaining on records automatically convert to failures, without notification to students, for fall semester courses on May 1 and for the spring and summer semesters on December 1.

W-Withdrawal.  Officially withdrew.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 848-445-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

© 2022 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
Catalogs Home