The major in English consists of 36 credits in English with a grade of C or better, exclusive of 50:350:101-102, 50:350:309-310, 50:350:410, and 50:090:238. All majors must take:
1. 50:350:220 Critical Methods in English
2. 50:350:221 and 222 Literatures in English I and II
3. At least one course in Shakespeare (50:350:331 or 332)
4. At least one course in linguistics (subject code 615)
5. A 400-level seminar in English studies (a "capstone" course), after 90 credits have been completed
6. 18 additional credits in courses offered by the department, 9 of which must be subject code 350 or 352 courses
Grades of D: A student may satisfy specific departmental requirements with a course grade of D, but the credits for that course may not be included in the 36 required for the major. Any Department of English course(s) may be taken to make up the deficit.
Students are advised to complete 50:350:220, 221, 222, and 50:090:238 before enrolling in more advanced English courses.