Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Undergraduate-New Brunswick
About the University
Undergraduate Education in New Brunswick
Programs of Study and Courses for Liberal Arts and Sciences Students
School of Arts and Sciences
School of Environmental and Biological Sciences
History and Aims
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility to Keep Informed
Scholastic Standing
Academic Credit
Advanced Placement
Course Placement
College Level Examination Program
International Baccalaureate Examinations (IB)
Proficiency Examinations
Transfer of Credit Earned outside Rutgers University
Credit for Courses in the Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE)
Credits for Prerequisites
Courses Completed at Other Units of Rutgers University
Distance Learning Course Credit
Academic Advising and Support Services
Registration and Course Information
Disciplinary Hearing Procedures
Degree Requirements
Programs of Study
Course Listing
Administration, Centers, and Faculty
Mason Gross School of the Arts
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers Business School: Undergraduate-New Brunswick
School of Communication and Information
School of Engineering
Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
School of Management and Labor Relations
Honors College of Rutgers University-New Brunswick
General Information
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
New Brunswick Undergraduate Catalog 2022-2024 School of Environmental and Biological Sciences Academic Policies and Procedures Academic Credit Transfer of Credit Earned outside Rutgers University  

Transfer of Credit Earned outside Rutgers University

General Transfer.  A student who has transferred from another accredited institution receives credit (maximum of 60 credits from a community college, maximum of 90 credits from a four-year college or university) for courses in which a grade of C (2.000) or better was received, provided that they are not designated as remedial courses (below the 100-level in the Rutgers course numbering system) and that they are recognized as part of a student's graduation requirements at the college or university from which the student is transferring. The maximum number of credits transferred is based upon the last institution attended. Credit will not be granted for courses taken at another institution during a period of disciplinary suspension from Rutgers University. University regulations require that at least 30 of the last 42 credits must be completed at Rutgers University.

Grades from transfer courses are not included in the student's cumulative grade-point average. This regulation applies both to transfer credit granted at the time of admission and to any summer or special courses taken outside of Rutgers University while the student is a candidate for a degree at the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences.

An official transcript of all coursework taken at other institutions of higher learning is required whether or not transfer credit is requested.

Students should be aware that many of the programs at the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences include courses that may be unique to the school. As a result, some transfer credits may be accepted only as excess unspecified electives, resulting in the transfer student needing more than the minimum of 120 credits required for graduation.


Matriculated students wishing to take courses outside of Rutgers University must have prior approval from the school's Office of Academic Programs, Martin Hall, Room 109.

Statewide Transfer Agreement. 
Students who have completed an associate in arts or associate in science (A.A. or A.S.) degree from a New Jersey community college in January 2005 or thereafter and also have completed the approved general education curriculum ( as a part of their degree, will have the degree credits that transfer fulfill the first two years of the school's core curriculum requirements with the exception of prerequisite coursework for the student's major and experience-based education requirements.

Transfer credits from New Jersey county or community colleges for students who did not earn an associate degree are considered under the general transfer policies outlined above.

Credits earned at another college after receiving an associate degree from a New Jersey county or community college are considered under the policy for the general transfer.

Transfer from College or Universities outside of a New Jersey Community College. Students who wish to obtain transfer credit for courses taken at an institution outside of the New Jersey community college system may be required to submit a course syllabi for review by the appropriate academic department at Rutgers University.


Credits for College Courses Taken in High School.  The State of New Jersey has established a program designed to provide college-level instruction for selected courses in high schools. The program involves collaborative agreements between participating New Jersey high schools and certain institutions of higher education in New Jersey. New Jersey high school students who have received college credit for courses that meet the program's guidelines can have these credits transferred to Rutgers University; however, students should consult with an adviser to determine if these courses actually provide an adequate background as a prerequisite to the next level of coursework at Rutgers. Courses completed at four-year schools in New Jersey and institutions of higher education outside of New Jersey will be evaluated for transferability on a case-by-case basis. Course syllabi are required for the evaluation process.

Students may elect to remove from the computation of their degree credits and cumulative grade-point average courses taken at Rutgers University when they were enrolled in high school. Such courses and grades remain on the student's transcript with an "E-credit" designation and do not fulfill either the core curriculum requirements of the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences or the requirements of any of the school's degree programs.

For credit transfer under the Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE) program see that catalog page.

Transfer from Colleges or Universities outside the United States.  Students who wish to obtain transfer credit for courses taken at an institution outside the United States may be required to furnish a course-by-course evaluation from an acceptable professional evaluation service. In most instances, course syllabi must also be submitted for review by the appropriate academic department at Rutgers University.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 732/932-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

© 2022 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.