Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Undergraduate-New Brunswick
About the University
Undergraduate Education in New Brunswick
Programs of Study and Courses for Liberal Arts and Sciences Students
School of Arts and Sciences
School of Environmental and Biological Sciences
Mason Gross School of the Arts
General Information
Academic Policies and Procedures
Degree Requirements
Credits and Residency
Liberal Arts Requirements
Interdisciplinary Requirement
Programs of Study
Course Listing
Administration and Faculty
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers Business School: Undergraduate-New Brunswick
School of Communication and Information
School of Engineering
Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
School of Management and Labor Relations
Honors College of Rutgers University-New Brunswick
General Information
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
New Brunswick Undergraduate Catalog 2022-2024 Mason Gross School of the Arts Degree Requirements Requirements Credits and Residency  

Credits and Residency

The total number of credits required for graduation is a minimum of 120 credits and can exceed that depending on the student's major program. In no instance may a student graduate with fewer than 120 credits and a cumulative grade-point average of less than 2.0.

Incoming first-year students starting a bachelor's degree in art and design, dance, digital filmmaking, music, and theater should expect to spend a minimum of four years in resident study. These residency requirements are applicable even if college credit was completed during high school.

Transfer students entering Mason Gross programs are subject to review by the departments, which will determine the length of time required to graduate. Transfer students should expect a minimum of two years, but in most instances, will require three or more years to complete their degree.

Each candidate for the bachelor's degree must earn a minimum of 30 of the last 42 credits at Rutgers. Individual programs may have minimum grade requirements for core courses in the degree.

For students transferring to the Department of Music at Mason Gross, although course credits for applied music (performance) courses may transfer, the applied music performance level at Mason Gross is determined by placement from the department.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 732/932-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

© 2022 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.