Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
The Mason Gross School of the Arts
About the University
About the School
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility to Keep Informed
Registration and Course Information
Class Schedules and Hours
Grades and Records
Grades for Graduate Students in Undergraduate Courses
Student Identification Cards
Student Complaints about Grades
Academic Standing
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Academic Integrity Policy
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
University Safety and Security
Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance
Disability Services
Administrative Procedures for Responding to Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and Harassment
Title IX Policy and Grievance Procedures
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights under FERPA
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policies
Patent Policy
Graduate Programs in Art and Design
Graduate Programs in Dance
Graduate Programs in Music
Graduate Programs in Theater Arts
Faculty and Administration
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  Mason Gross School of the Arts 2020-2022 Academic Policies and Procedures Grades and Records  

Grades and Records

In the Mason Gross School of the Arts, outstanding work is graded A, and good work is graded B. Candidates for all degrees normally are expected to earn a grade of B or better in all coursework. Each department establishes policies with regard to grades below B for candidates for master's degrees. At the doctoral level, no grade below a B may be counted toward the degree without petition to and approval from the Graduate Performance Committee. A grade of F is assigned to students who fail to earn credit in a course they complete. Students who fail to complete a course and do not withdraw their registration (either from the course or from the university) in the prescribed manner of written notification to the graduate registrar also receive an F.

Additionally, the Mason Gross School of the Arts graduate school uses the following grade symbols:

IN incomplete

S satisfactory (used in courses taken not-for-credit)

U unsatisfactory (used in courses taken not-for-credit)

W withdrawal (officially withdrew)

An instructor may assign an IN grade if he or she thinks added time is warranted to allow a student to make up work that was incomplete at the end of the semester. Excluding Summer Session, the instructor may permit a student to take as many as two additional semesters to make up incomplete coursework. Incompletes generated in a Summer Session must be made up by the end of the following spring semester. Graduate program directors may establish shorter time limits for a student to complete an INgrade.

The university grants an extension of time beyond these deadlines to make up an INgrade only in cases of specific medical or extreme hardship cases. Moreover, the extension is granted only if the student provides a written statement describing the medical condition or hardship.

When a graduate student is permitted or requested to take an undergraduate course (those courses numbered below 500), the student must get specific approval for credit from the graduate program director or adviser. Credits for these courses appear on the transcript with one of the following prefixes: G (approved for credit toward the graduate degree), E (not approved for credit toward the graduate degree), or N (official audit; no degree credit; no final exam; S or U grade).For further information on this topic, see the Registration and Course Information section of this chapter.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 848-445-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

2021 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
Catalogs Home