Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Camden Undergraduate
About the University
Undergraduate Education in Camden
Degree Requirements
Liberal Arts Colleges
Rutgers School of Business-Camden
School of Nursing-Camden
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility to Keep Informed
Registration and Course Information
Grades and Records
Other Grade Symbols
Credit Prefixes
Credits and Deficiencies
Academic Warning Notices
Course/Grade Documentation
Student Complaints about Grades
Verification of Enrollment
Class Schedules and Hours
Scholastic Standing
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Academic Integrity Policy
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
University Safety and Security
Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance
Disability Services
Administrative Procedures for Responding to Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and Harassment
Title IX Policy and Grievance Procedures
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights under FERPA
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policies
Patent Policy
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  Camden Undergraduate Catalog 2021-2023 Academic Policies and Procedures Grades and Records Other Grade Symbols  

Other Grade Symbols

IN (Incomplete).  This symbol may be used by the instructor when the student is unable to fulfill the course requirements and the completion of such would substantially improve the grade.  

It is the student's responsibility to consult with the instructor to arrange for the conversion of the IN grade to a permanent grade. All remaining IN grades are converted to a failing grade (F, NC, or U) automatically, without notification to students, according to the following schedule:

    February 1         Fall Semester

    February 15       Winter Session

    June 1                Spring Semester

    September 15    Summer Session

Permission to deviate from this time limit must be obtained in writing from the instructor, approved by the course's department chair and the course-offering school's assistant dean of academic services, and received by the registrar prior to the end of the conversion period. A form for permission to extend the time period is available at the registrar's office. The registrar must receive the final grade, as instructed below, within one week after the extended deadline or a failing grade (F, NC, or U) is assigned without notification to the student.

All conditional grades and the specific nature of incomplete work are reported by the instructor to the department chair.

After completion of the required work, the instructor must submit the revised grade via the online electronic grade change system (EGIS). 

Ordinarily, grades from the fall semester may not be changed later than July 1, and grades from the spring semester or from any of the Summer Sessions may not be changed later than December 1. In any case, it should never be expected that any grades, except for grades of IN, will be changed. Grade changes other than ones involving IN conversions may be made only in consultation with the dean. Grades are not to be changed on the basis of reevaluations of work that has already been graded.

P/NC (Pass/No Credit).  A grade of Pass or No Credit that has no numerical equivalent is assigned to any student who has registered for a course on that basis when such registration is in accord with the regulations of the faculty governing the student and the faculty governing the course. P (Pass) is equivalent to an A, B, or C, while NC (No Credit) is equivalent to a D or F.

R (Reexamination Permitted).  This symbol may precede a grade only when the instructor cannot assign a grade better than D and considers the examination grade to be so inconsistent with the student's previous work as to merit a reexamination. The payment of an examination fee of $5 to the bursar is prerequisite to taking the reexamination. The original grade remains standing if the reexamination is not taken prior to the dates listed above under IN (Incomplete).

S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory).  Assigned when a course is taken on a noncredit basis. (See N under Credit Prefixes.)

TZ (Temporarily Not Graded).  The TZ grade is assigned to students who never attended classes for a course, or stopped attending and did not officially withdraw, or were not graded by instructors.

Students are responsible for contacting the registrar to correct registration errors that have resulted in TZ grades and, when necessary, for contacting instructors to arrange final grades.

TZ grades remaining on records convert automatically to failures, without notification to students, for the fall semester on May 1 and for the spring and summer semesters on December 1. The Winter Session follows fall semester conversion dates.

W (Withdrawn without Evaluation).  Used when the student officially withdraws from the college. (This symbol also is used when a student withdraws from an individual course after the second week of the semester.) This symbol is not used for absence during the last two weeks of the semester, since withdrawals without penalty are not permitted at that time.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 848-445-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: One Stop Student Services Center.

© 2022 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
Catalogs Home