Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Graduate School–Camden
About the University
Graduate Study at the University
Financial Aid
Student Life
Student Programs and Services
Academic Policies and Procedures
Degree Requirements
Programs, Faculty, and Courses
Actuarial Sciences
Applied Computing
Biology 120
Biology, Computational and Integrative 121
Business and Science 137
Chemistry 160
Childhood Studies 163
Computer Science 198
Creative Writing 200
Criminal Justice 202
English 350, 352, 354, 615, 842
Foreign Languages 410
History 512
Industrial Mathematics
Liberal Studies 606
Mathematical Sciences 645
Physical Therapy 742
Psychology 830
Public Affairs 824
Public Administration 834, 831
Dual-Degree Programs
Admission Requirements
Degree Requirements
Transfer Credits
Scholastic Standing
Financial Aid
Graduate Courses (834)
Executive M.P.A. Courses (831)
School of Business–Camden
School of Social Work: Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) Program
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  Graduate School–Camden 2013–2015 Programs, Faculty, and Courses Public Administration 834, 831 Scholastic Standing  

Scholastic Standing

Academic Warning, Probation, and Dismissal

Students who have earned two grades of C or one grade of F are placed on academic probation. Students who do not earn a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 after completion of 12 credits of coursework also are placed on probation. Students on probation are limited to a less-than-full course load, and their class schedule must be approved by the associate chair of the graduate program.

A student on probation who receives a C or lower grade is dismissed from the program. Students may appeal their dismissals to the Department of Public Policy and Administration graduate program's Scholastic Standing Committee.

Incomplete Grades

All of the rules of the Graduate School–Camden regarding incomplete grades apply to Department of Public Policy and Administration graduate students. In addition, a student may not acquire more than two grades of Incomplete (IN) during his or her course of study in the graduate program. A student receiving a third IN grade is placed on academic probation and is required to appear before the Scholastic Standing Committee to explain the reasons for the student's inability to complete coursework on schedule.

Student Appeals about Grades

Student complaints about grades will, where possible, be handled within the structure of the graduate degree program.

First, the student is urged to confer informally with the instructor who recorded the grade in question. Such a conference shall take place within 10 school days of official notification of the grade. If the matter is not resolved during the conference, the student is urged to take the issue in written form, within 10 school days of the meeting between the student and instructor, to the director of the graduate program or a designee for review and mediation. The director or designee, within 10 school days of notification of the dispute, shall consult with all parties and propose a resolution. If this is unsuccessful, the matter shall be referred to a faculty committee, as designated in the bylaws of the program. This committee shall render a decision within 15 school days. In arriving at a decision, the committee may consult with whomever it chooses and may, in extraordinary cases, ask third parties from among the faculty to review the grade in question.

Appeal of the program faculty's decision may be made to the dean of the Graduate School–Camden. Such appeal shall be in writing, shall be made within 10 school days of receipt of the program faculty's decision, and shall state the grounds for appeal. The grounds for appeal are (1) technical error, (2) new information, or (3) extenuating circumstances.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 732-445-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

© 2014 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.