Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
School of Public Affairs and Administration
About the University
About the School of Public Affairs and Administration
About Rutgers University-Newark
Financial Aid
Degree Programs and Courses
Certificate Programs (Credit Bearing)
Certificate Programs (Noncredit)
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility to Keep Informed
Registration and Course Information
Matriculation Continued
Change of Registration and Withdrawals
Intrainstitutional Registration
Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses
Transfer of Credit
Full-Time Vs. Part-Time/Credit Overboard
Class Schedules and Hours
Grades and Records
Scholastic Standing
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Academic Integrity Policy
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
University Safety and Security
Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance
Services for Students with Disabilities
Administrative Procedures for Responding to Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and Harassment
Student Policy Prohibiting Sexual Harassment, Sexual Violence, Stalking, and Related Misconduct
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights under FERPA
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policies
Patent Policy
Administration and Faculty
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  School of Public Affairs and Administration 2019-2021 Academic Policies and Procedures Registration and Course Information Full-Time Vs. Part-Time/Credit Overboard  

Full-Time Vs. Part-Time/Credit Overboard

Minimum and Maximum Programs

Students complete the program in two to three calendar years depending upon the number of credits taken per semester. Most master of public administration (M.P.A.) students are working professionals who take 6 credits per semester (part time), including summers. Nine credits per semester is considered full time at the graduate level.

In order to take 12 credits, credit overload has to be approved by the M.P.A. director. The student must have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA to request credit overload.

Financial Aid

To receive financial aid, an M.P.A. student has to register for at least 6 credits and submit a FAFSA form by the deadline. For more information, please visit the Office of Financial Aid at There are no financial loans available for the Winter Session.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 848-445-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

2019 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
Catalogs Home