Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Graduate School New Brunswick
About The University
Graduate Study at the University
Other Graduate Study at the University
Degree Programs Available
Tuition and Fees
Financial Aid
Student Services
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility To Keep Informed
Registration and Course Information
Matriculation Continued
Summer Registration
Change of Registration and Withdrawal
Transfer of Credit
Intercollege Registration
Multiple School Registration
Interuniversity Doctoral Consortium
Rutgers–Princeton Cooperative Exchange Program
New Brunswick Theological Seminary and UMDNJ–RWJMS Exchanges
Courses Taken “Not-for-Credit”
Auditing Courses without Registration
Graduate Enrollment in Undergraduate Courses
Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses
Minimum and Maximum Programs
Full- and Part-Time Students
Change of Program
Change of Status
Readmission or Restoration of Active Status
Class Schedules and Hours
Grades and Records
Academic Standing
Policy on Academic Integrity Summary
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
University Safety and Security
Sexual Assault Services and Crime Victim Assistance
Administrative Procedures for Responding to Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Harassment
Policy Against Verbal Assault, Defamation, And Harassment
Nondiscrimination Policy
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policy and Research Centers
Patent Policy
Degree Requirements
Programs, Faculty, and Courses
Research Centers, Bureaus and Institutes
Governance of the University
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  Graduate School-New Brunswick 2005-2007 Academic Policies and Procedures Registration and Course Information Transfer of Credit  

Transfer of Credit

Students may not transfer credits for courses taken at other institutions until they have completed at least 12 hours of graduate courses with a grade of B or better as a matriculated student at the Graduate School-New Brunswick. The courses being transferred must relate directly to a student's program of study at Rutgers, and the student must have received a grade of B or better in them. No credit may be transferred for thesis research work, course work done as independent study, or work in courses that were not graded. P or S grades are eligible for transfer if equivalent to a grade of Bor better and accompanied by a letter of equivalency from the instructor of the course.

Permission is required to transfer credit for courses taken more than six years prior to the application for transfer of credit.

No more than the equivalent of one year of course work normally may be transferred toward the Ph.D. degree (i.e., 24 credits). No more than 40 percent of the credits required for a master's degree may be transferred from anotherinstitution.

Quarter credits will be converted to term credits by reducing the total by one-third.

For transfer of graduate courses taken as an undergraduate student, a letter is required from the registrar of the institution involved stating that the course or courses were not used toward an undergraduate degree. Applications for transfer of credit are available at the Office of the Graduate School.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 732/932-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

2005 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.