Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Graduate School New Brunswick
About The University
Graduate Study at the University
Other Graduate Study at the University
Degree Programs Available
Tuition and Fees
Financial Aid
Student Services
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility To Keep Informed
Registration and Course Information
Class Schedules and Hours
Grades and Records
Credit Prefixes
Student Identification Cards
Academic Standing
Policy on Academic Integrity Summary
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
University Safety and Security
Sexual Assault Services and Crime Victim Assistance
Administrative Procedures for Responding to Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Harassment
Policy Against Verbal Assault, Defamation, And Harassment
Nondiscrimination Policy
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policy and Research Centers
Patent Policy
Degree Requirements
Programs, Faculty, and Courses
Research Centers, Bureaus and Institutes
Governance of the University
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  Graduate School-New Brunswick 2005-2007 Academic Policies and Procedures Grades and Records  

Grades and Records

In the Graduate School-New Brunswick, outstanding work is graded A, and good work is graded B. Some programs require students to achieve grades of A in at least half their courses to be accepted as serious candidates for the doctorate. The grade of C is for satisfactory work. The B+ and C+ grades are intermediate grades. The graduate faculty accepts for graduate credit only a limited number of courses in which a student earns a grade of C+ or C (see the paragraphs on academic standing in the Degree Requirements chapter). A grade of F is assigned to students who fail to earn credit in a course they complete and to students who do not complete a course from which they have not withdrawn officially. The Graduate School-New Brunswick does not assign the grades of D or D+in its courses.

In addition, the Graduate School-New Brunswick uses the following grade symbols:

IN-(Incomplete).May be assigned at the discretion of an instructor who believes that an extension of time is warranted for a student whose work is incomplete at the end of the term. Incomplete work may be made up, and a change of grade may be authorized by the instructor, within any period agreed to by the instructor and the student. This makeup period may not extend for more than two terms beyond the original course registration (excluding Summer Session). Incompletes generated in a Summer Session must be completed by the end of the following Summer Session. Programs may establish shorter time limits.Students with two or more incompletes are not permitted to register for additional courses after one term until incompletes are completed.

Pass/No Credit.For certain specifically designated courses; applies to all students enrolled in those courses.

S/U-Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.For 700-level courses of research carrying credit or in regular courses taken "not-for-credit" (Nprefix).

W-(Withdrawal).Officially withdrew.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 732/932-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

2005 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.