Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Graduate School-New Brunswick
About the University
Graduate Study At the University
Other Graduate Study At the University
Degree Programs Available
Tuition and Fees
Financial Aid
Merit-Based Financial Aid
Need-Based Financial Aid
How to Apply
Part-Time Students
Employment on Campus
Other Financial Resources
Restrictions On Financial Aid and Employment
Student Services
Academic Policies and Procedures
Degree Requirements
Programs, Faculty, and Courses
Research Centers, Bureaus, and Institutes
Governance of the University
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  Graduate School-New Brunswick 2003-2005 Financial Aid Need-Based Financial Aid Employment on Campus  

Employment on Campus

Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP). Federal work-study employment may be offered as a self-help portion of the financial aid award. Application for this program is made by filing the FAFSA. On-campus jobs are available in many departments. Selection for a particular job is based on the applicant`s skills, job availability, university needs, and student preference. In assigning students jobs, the program assumes a student will work between 6 and 20 hours a week during the fall and spring terms. For summer assignments, students may work as many as 35 hours a week.

Any change in work-study jobs must be made through the student employment/financial aid office. Off-campus employment is available through the Federal Work-Study Program. These jobs are paid community service positions in nonprofit agencies. No job assignments will be made until financial aid requirements are met.

Preceptorships and Residence Counselorships. Appointments as preceptors or counselors in the various undergraduate residence halls are available to a limited number of graduate students. Upon request, the offices of the deans of students will provide information about the duties required of preceptors and counselors. In addition, they will outline the benefits offered-such as room, board, and tuition grants-and discuss application procedures. Normally, applications for September appointments must be received before May 1.

Other University Employment. Any graduate student enrolled at the university may inquire with individual academic or administrative offices for available non-FWSP openings. All hiring decisions for non-FWSP jobs are made by the department.

Job Location and Development Program (JLD). The JLD Program is open to all students enrolled in the university. Most employment opportunities are located outside the university in local businesses. Information about jobs is available online at http: //

For additional information, contact RU-info at 732/932-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

2005 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.