Graduate courses completed at other institutions, if they would normally form a part of the student's field of concentration, may be accepted for credit toward the doctorate. Transfer of credit cannot be granted until the student has completed at least one full semester of coursework at the Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology (GSAPP) with satisfactory grades. The responsibility for requesting transfer of credit lies with the student, in consultation with his or her adviser. Research, independent study, internship, practicum, or courses with a grade lower than B are not transferable. A maximum of 30 graduate credits may be transferred.
Advanced clinical psychology students may under uncertain exceptional circumstances apply for a waiver of practicum credits for those experiences that have been supervised by licensed, doctoral-level psychologists. Decisions about practicum waivers are made by the practicum coordinator and the department chair. It is strongly urged that students not waive the practicum, as this is the context in which they practice what they learn in the classroom.
Students Entering with Prior Graduate Education
For students entering the Rutgers school psychology program with prior graduate education, and who may desire to transfer credit/and or waive courses, the following policies and procedures are applicable:
1. Students who have completed master's degrees or other graduate education from other accredited universities may transfer up to 30 credits of graduate coursework and may waive any courses required in the Rutgers school psychology program they have completed.
2. Entering student requests for transfers and waivers are subject to the approval of school psychology faculty after review of syllabi and other written materials from courses that students wish to transfer or waive.
3. All school psychology program requirements must be met through completion of coursework and fieldwork at Rutgers University or through transfer or waiver.
4. Entering students who obtain faculty approval to transfer and/or waive courses must complete at least 45 credit hours at Rutgers University including 12 credits of advanced practicum, 6 credits of advanced supervision, 6 credits of doctoral internship, and 9 credits of dissertation, as well as didactic courses chosen from unmet school psychology program course requirements or electives.
5. All approvals for transfer of credit and waiver of courses must be requested and approved using the Transfer of Credit and Application for Waiver of Required Course forms which are available from the school psychology program administrator.