Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Graduate School of Education
About the University
About the School
Degree Programs
Financial Aid
Student Services
Academic Policies and Procedures
Student Responsibility to Keep Informed
General Degree Regulations
Registration and Course Information
Advising Procedures
Class Schedules and Hours
Grades and Records
Other Grade Symbols
Credit Prefixes
Scholastic Standing
Academic Standing
Special Policies Governing the Graduate School of Education's Initial Teacher Certification Programs
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Academic Integrity Policy
University Code of Student Conduct Summary
Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
University Safety and Security
Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance
Disability Services
Administrative Procedures for Responding to Disruptions
Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and Harassment
Title IX Policy and Grievance Procedures
Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act
Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Reports
Graduation Rates
Teacher Preparation Program Pass Rates
Student Records and Privacy Rights under FERPA
Student Residency for Tuition Purposes
Research Policies
Patent Policy
Degree Requirements
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Programs
Doctor of Education (Ed.D) Programs - For Students Entering before 2010
Doctor of Education (Ed.D) Programs - For Students Entering in or subsequent to 2010
Master of Education (Ed.M.) Programs with No State Certification
Master of Education (Ed.M.) Programs with State Certification
Combined B.A./B.S./Ed.M. Five-Year Teacher Preparation Programs
Postbaccalaureate Teacher Preparation Programs (Ed.M.)
Undergraduate Minor: Education as a Social Science
Nondegree State Certification Programs
Nondegree Skill Development Programs
Faculty, Administration, and Centers
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
  The Graduate School of Education 2022-2024 Academic Policies and Procedures Grades and Records Other Grade Symbols  

Other Grade Symbols

IN (Incomplete).  May be assigned at the discretion of the instructor who believes that an extension of time is warranted for a student whose work is incomplete at the end of the semester. Incomplete work may be made up, and a change of grade may be authorized by the instructor for up to two years after the IN grade was assigned. After two years, an IN is automatically changed to No Credit.

NG (No Grade Given).  Assigned only by the registrar when no grade is assigned on the final grade roster by the faculty member. The NG will have no immediate effect on a student's GPA; however, if the situation is not resolved within the following semester, the NG will convert to an F, and the GPA will be recalculated accordingly.

P/NC (Pass/No Credit).  Any student in the Graduate School of Education may elect, at the time of each registration, to be graded in any Graduate School of Education course on a Pass/No Credit basis. The choice of grading system typically is determined at the time of registration. The final designation of choice must be made, in consultation with the instructor, no later than the sixth week of the semester. Under this grading system, Pass is equivalent to an A, B+, B, C+, or C; No Credit is equivalent to F.

Dissertation study/research in education is graded Pass/No Credit, and it is not necessary to register with a P.

S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory).  Assigned when a course is taken on a noncredit basis.

TZ (Temporarily Not Graded).  The TZ grade is assigned to students who never attended classes for a course, stopped attending and did not officially withdraw, or were not graded by instructors.

Students are responsible for contacting the registrar to correct registration errors that have resulted in TZ grades and, when necessary, for contacting instructors to arrange final grades.

TZ grades remaining on records convert automatically to failures, without notification to students, for the fall semester and Winter Session on May 1 and for the spring semester and Summer Session on December 1. 

W (Withdrawal).  Withdrawn without evaluation; used when a student officially drops a course or withdraws during the first 12 weeks of the semester.

For additional information, contact RU-info at 848-445-info (4636) or
Comments and corrections to: One Stop Student Services Center.

© 2021 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
Catalogs Home