The Newark College of Arts and Sciences was founded in 1930 as a four-year liberal arts institution affiliated with the New Jersey Law School. The college's predecessor, Dana College, began with a faculty of 15 and fewer than 300 students. Six years later and with an enrollment almost twice as large as when it first began, Dana College was renamed the Newark College of Arts and Sciences when it became part of the newly formed University of Newark. In 1946, the University of Newark and Rutgers University were merged to form Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. Today, the college enrolls more than 4,000 undergraduate students.