Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
School of Law-Newark
 
Academic Calendars
Dean's Message
About the University
The School of Law– Newark
Accreditation
The Law Library
Faculty and Administration
The Law Program
Admissions
Minority Student Program
Tuition and Fees
Financial Aid
Student Services
Student Activities
Honors, Prizes, and Awards
Course Listing
Academic Policies and Procedures
Governance of the University
Divisions of the University
Camden Newark New Brunswick/Piscataway
Catalogs
  The School of Law - Newark 2004-2006 The School of Law– Newark  

The School of Law-Newark

The School of Law-Newark is located on the Newark campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. The campus is situated in the heart of Newark`s cultural center, close to the Newark Public Library, the Newark Museum, and the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. The social, cultural, professional, and educational opportunities of the Newark/New York City area combine to provide a fitting location for the study of law. Newark is the largest city in New Jersey, and the second largest in the New York metropolitan area, with a population of approximately 275,000. It is 8 miles west of New York City and 90 miles northeast of Philadelphia.

Qualities that typify the School of Law-Newark include its outstanding legal education, nationally recognized faculty, very diverse student body, commitment to public service, and affordable tuition. Of approximately 800 students in both day and evening programs, 45 percent are women and 38 percent are members of minority groups. The majority of students are New Jersey residents, but students hail from all parts of the country and have earned undergraduate degrees from more than 120 different colleges and universities. The excellence and the diversity of the School of Law-Newark students are reflected in their varied professional interests, goals, and outlooks, making classroom discussion and other law school interactions dynamic and educationally stimulating. The faculty is as diverse as the student body and brings to the students and the classroom their experiences as nationally recognized experts in a multitude of legal areas ranging from corporate law to public interest law.

Faculty scholarship and extracurricular service are well known and respected in the legal community, as well as in the academic legal community. As a result, the School of Law-Newark was awarded the first New Jersey chapter of the Order of the Coif, the national honor society for law students.

The oldest law school in the state, the School of Law-Newark has had many ancestors and locales. It began in 1908 in an imposing Victorian town house as a proprietary institution, the New Jersey Law School. Its business-oriented curriculum quickly attracted many students, and by the 1920s it had become the nation`s second largest law school. In 1927, it moved to a former brewery at 40 Rector Street. The school joined in 1936 with another private institution, the Mercer Beasley Law School, to become the University of Newark Law School.

In 1946, the entire University of Newark was absorbed by Rutgers University, and the School of Law was officially born. The new affiliation brought great advantages through the university`s substantial resources and prestige. Over the next several decades, the school became an institution of national stature. Its library expanded to become the most comprehensive collection in New Jersey, and its faculty tripled in size. In the 1960s, the law school pioneered in developing clinical education and in providing the opportunity to study law to women and minority groups. In 1967, the school of law in Camden, which had been administered by the dean of the law school in Newark, was created as a separate unit of the university, and the university`s original law school became the School of Law-Newark. After outgrowing several buildings in downtown Newark, it moved in 1978 to the skyscraper that became the S.I. Newhouse Center for Law and Justice. In January 2000, the School of Law-Newark moved to the new 225,000-square-foot Center for Law and Justice, located at the corner of Washington and New Streets.


 
For additional information, contact RU-info at 732/932-info (4636) or colonel.henry@rutgers.edu.
Comments and corrections to: Campus Information Services.

2005 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.