In order to declare the major in music, students must complete both 07:700:122 and 124 with a grade of C+ or better.
Music majors in the bachelor of arts (B.A.) program are required to complete at least 41 credits, distributed as follows:
- 13 credits of music theory: 07:700:121,122, 127, 221,222
- 8 credits of aural skills: 07:700:123,124, 223,224
- 12 credits of music history: 07:700:301-302, 303, and either 419 or 420
- four semesters of performance study (4 credits)
- four semesters of large ensemble (4 credits)*
In order to graduate with a major in music, students must pass a piano proficiency examination. Students must achieve a minimum grade-point average of 2.5 in courses required for the major. At least 15 of the 41 credits required for the major must be taken at Rutgers.